New Higher Degrees Students
If you wish to apply for admission to a higher degree at VUT, you should complete the following steps:
Check admission criteria
- Check the entry requirements to find out if you are academically qualified to apply for a higher degree.
- Identify available Higher Degrees and research areas available at VUT.
- Application forms can be downloaded or collected from the Higher Degrees Unit
Complete application form
- If you require assistance identifying and obtaining agreement from potential supervisors, need clarification of a research topic, and/or require confirmation that you meet the entry criteria for admission to your nominated research degree, then you should complete an application form for admission to a higher degree.
- You are required to provide a research proposal with your application, indicating the nature of the research you wish to undertake. You are encouraged to consult with academics at the University in your chosen discipline prior to lodging your application.
- If you have obtained agreement from an academic to supervise your proposed research and your academic qualifications meet the entry criteria for admission to your nominated research degree, you should complete an application form.
Submission of application form
A fully completed application form must be submitted to Higher Degrees Unit via:
- Hand deliver
Attach all certificates and documents to your application form. Photocopies must be certified as being a true copy of the original. Originals must be produced before actual registration.
Assessment of Application
Your application will then undergo a selection process at VUT. Your application will be assessed initially by the Higher Degrees Unit and then sent to the relevant Faculty. The Faculty will consider the following:
- That you are appropriately qualified to enter the program;
- That suitable supervisors are available for the duration of the candidature;
- That sufficient resources are available to support the candidature;
- Any conditions to be placed on the candidature such as enrolment in prescribed courses.
Outcomes of Application
If your application is successful you will receive a letter which will include conditions that you receive a study permit, meet VUT departmental entry requirements and paid all necessary fees.
There are no provisional registrations permitted for a VUT international student. Even if you have been accepted for study, VUT cannot be held responsible should you fail to comply with these requirements for actual registration.
After receiving the provisional letter you may proceed to obtain your study permit at the Embassy, Consulate or Trade Mission in your country of origin, or at the South African High Commission.
If your candidature application is successful you will receive a letter that will outline your program, supervisory arrangements and any other details relevant to actioning the offer and your initial enrolment. The offer may be provisional if verification of documents or claims is required.
Closing Dates for Application forms
Applications close on the 30 March for re-registrations each year for the current year.
Outline of steps an International Student application form will follow
International Relations Department Acceptance Of Admission
Students applying for admission into a degree programme at the University need to demonstrate that they have obtained one of the following levels of English proficiency.
- A pass in an examination equivalent to English at the Higher Grade (First or Second Language) at the South African Senior Certificate level (matriculation).
- A pass in English language at A-level, or 0-level (C-symbol or higher), or the International Baccalaureate or equivalent examination.
- For international applicants who do not satisfy (1) or (2) above and for whom English is a foreign language:
- An overall band score of 7.0 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) for Post-Graduate studies and 6.0 for Undergraduate studies, or
- A test score of 550 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).
- Scores need to be submitted with application forms.
- A study permit is only valid for the field of study and educational institution for which the original approval was granted.
- Students who change their field of study must obtain a new permit from the Department of Home Affairs.
- Acceptance of a student of admission into VUT does not bind the Department of Home Affairs in any way to allow the person into the country, not does it remove the need to obtain official permission from the Department. It is therefore important that a prospective student awaits the outcome to an application for a study permit before proceeding to the Republic of South Africa.
- A study permit does not qualify an international student to become a South African citizen. Students wishing to become South African citizens after finishing their studies must go back to their home countries from where they can apply through a South African representative.
- An individual may not enter South Africa on a visitor’s visa and then apply for a study permit.
- A student must produce proof of membership of a medical aid at registration or will not be allowed to register.
- Students have to re-register every year for the duration of their study.
Current Higher Degrees Students
A student has to register each year for the duration of study of the Higher Degree.
Student completes application form and submits to Higher Degree Unit via:
Closing Dates for Application forms
Applications close on the 30 March each year for the current year.
Outline of steps a student application form will follow for re-registration