The Vaal University of Technology (VUT) is looking for excellent emerging researchers in STEM and Social Sciences to undertake a 1-year Post-Doctoral Fellowship under the stewardship of established researchers in our four academic faculties. The renewal of the fellowship for a further year may be considered based on satisfactory progress and subject to the availability of funds.
The value of the fellowship is fixed at R300,000.00 per annum. The Fellowships carry no benefits and are awarded in line with section 10(1)(q) of the Income Tax Act of South Africa. VUT does not guarantee employment during or after the completion of the fellowship.
Eligibility Criteria and conditions:
- The Postdoctoral fellowship will be awarded to candidates who obtained their PhD degree not earlier than 2017, and who are not yet in full time, permanent academic or research position.
- Citizenship is not restricted however preference will be given to South African permanent residents.
- Candidates with Doctoral degrees issued outside of South Africa should submit their qualifications to South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA) for evaluation and verification.
- The fellowship opportunity is residential in nature therefor successful applicants will be expected to spend 80% of their time at the Vaal University of Technology. The successful applicants may therefore have to consider relocating closer to the Vaal University of Technology Campus to satisfy this condition.
- The Successful applicants are obliged to comply with the Vaal University of Technology policies and practices.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Postdoctoral Fellow:
- Successful candidates will be expected to undertake research, perform limited teaching duties as part of professional development, and to attend workshops, seminars, and other activities in their hosting department. It is expected that they will assist with the planning, organizing one or more workshops and to undertake co-supervision of postgraduate students.
Successful candidates will be expected to publish an appropriate number of research papers in the form of journal articles, conference proceedings and books/book chapters.
The following documents must be attached to the application:
- The application form along with a research proposal highlighting the objectives of the research work to be undertaken must accompany the application.
- A statement of interest no longer than three pages which should include their research interest and expertise.
- Two letters of recommendation from referees; at least one must be from the promoter of their PhD studies and the other should be from the prospective host at the Vaal University of Technology.
- A detailed CV including a list of publications and scholarly outputs.
- Certified copies of all academic transcripts and certificates.
- Names and contact details of at least two academics who have taught, supervised or worked with the prospective fellow.
Selection: Eligible Postdoctoral Research Fellowship will be considered by a selection committee. Equity will be taken into consideration in line with VUT Employment Equity Policy and Employment Equity Plan.
The closing date for application is: 25 March 2022.
The Vaal University of Technology reserves the right to disqualify:
- late applications,
- incomplete application forms, or presentation of falsified information.
Enquiries and completed application forms should be forwarded to: Vulani Mahlaule firstname.lastname@example.org or 016 950 7659 / 0818099873