The main purpose of the Research Development Grant (RDG) is to encourage universities to enhance their research capacity and improve their research productivity through a focus on developing the research capabilities of academic staff. The aim is to channel these funds towards the development of junior/emerging academic staff to enable them to become qualified and competent researchers through Masters, Doctoral, post-doctoral programmes, as well as other training programmes meant to enhance research capability.
Categories the RDG entails in are:
- Mentoring / Supervisor training programmes
- Research Capacity development programmes for recent recipients of a PhD qualification
- Postgraduate study support programmes for developmental staff
- Postdoctoral research fellowship programmes
- The employment of contract staff